Pair of Fire Buckets and Salvage Bags, America, possibly Portsmouth, New Hampshire, early 19th century, the pair consecutively marked "No 1" and "No 2" and painted with a flame-decorated badge inscribed "W. E. MARVIN/F.F.S." and "1789" below; each with appropriately identified and numbered salvage bags, (repainted, imperfections), bucket ht. 12, dia, 8; bag ht. 51, wd, 24 1/2 in. Provenance: These fire buckets originally hung in the Langley Boardman House, Portsmouth, New Hampshire, and are pictured (backs facing the camera) hanging in the doorway leading from the entrance hall to the stair hall of the house in The Architectural Heritage of the Piscataqua by John Mead Howells, (Architectural Book Publishing Company, Inc., 1965), fig. 67. The Langley Boardman House was purchased in 1900 by William E. Marvin (1872-1938).