Circa 1777. Beeswax circular seal of the Georgia. Circular historic item contained in a frame with images of "The Great Seal of the New State, 1777 to 1798". Circular brown beeswax seal with molded images on front and back. One side with "PRO BONO PUBLICO" (For the public good) on border with an image of the state constitution hanging from Ta tree branch and the date 1777. The other side with "DEUS NUBIS HAET OTIA FEGIT" (God has given us this tranquility) with a scene of a boat in the harbor of a town, also dated 1777 at bottom. Seal with brown ribbon textile. Seals such as these were typically attached to legal documents, purportedly this state seal was attached to land grants extended in the late 18th century. Wax seal diameter approximately 3.5 inches. Framed 15.25 inches x 10.6 inches. Provenance: From the Estate of Margaret C. Johnson, Atlanta and Greensboro, Georgia.
Ahlers & Ogletree Auction Gallery